RESOLUTION NO. 2007-123R
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN MARCOS, TEXAS, OPPOSING THE ENACTMENT OF CERTAIN PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN UNITED STATES SENATE BILL 1300, ENTITLED THE AVIATION INVESTMENT AND MODERNIZATION ACT OF 2007.
1. The United States is considering enactingThe Aviation Investment and Modernization Act of 2007. This bill would impose various user fees, including an increase in the tax imposed on aviation grade fuel. The bill will also decrease Congressional oversight over the Federal Aviation Administration.
2. General aviation is a vital engine for growth of the economy in the State of Texas and the San Marcos area by providing jobs, economic opportunity and revenue.
3. Given the geography of the State of Texas and the City of San Marcos a large number of businesses and communities depend upon small planes and general aviation for access to medical treatment, mobility, economi opportunity, disaster relief, and a wide range of other critical resources and services.
4. A user fee system is not necessary to achieve the funding needed to modernize our National Air Transport System.
5. General aviation is vital to the continued growth and prosperity of the farmers, small towns, and rural areas in the State of Texas.
6. At the June 5, 2007, meeting the Aviation Advisory Board discussed the above potential effects that this bill would have on aviation, and more particularly the effects that the bill would have on aviation arising in and from the San Marcos Airport. The Board unanimously approved of forwarding this resolution to the City Council for adoption.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SAN MARCOS, TEXAS:
PART 1. The City Council of the City of San Marcos, Texas, opposes the enactment of the provisions of the United States Senate Bill 1300, The Aviation Investment and Modernization Act of 2007, that impose air traffic control user fees, including “per flight charges,” increases in aviation fuel and gas taxes, and the reduction of COngressional oversight over the Federal Aviation Administration.
ADOPTED on the 19th day of June, 2007.
Interim City Clerk