SPRINGFIELD (WREX) — Six airports have been selected as winners of the 2019 Airport of the Year and one of them is in northern Illinois.
Rochelle Municipal Airport won the General Aviation Airport of the Year award. The awards are given out by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT).
“These awards recognize the tremendous dedication demonstrated by airports and heliports throughout Illinois,” said Omer Osman, the Acting Illinois Transportation Secretary.
The winners were selected as a result of their accomplishments throughout the year, including an outstanding partnership with IDOT and a strong commitment to customer safety and satisfaction.
Among the award considerations are cooperation and coordination with the state, facility safety record, promotion of seminars and aviation events, and facility maintenance.
Here’s a full list of this years winners:
• Quincy Regional Airport – Primary Airport of the Year
• Lake in the Hills Airport – Reliever Airport of the Year
• Rochelle Municipal Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
• Effingham County Memorial Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
• Cushing Field – Private – Open to the Public Airport of the Year
• Ann & Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago – Heliport of the Year