MESA (AP) — Two World War II-era hangars at Falcon Field Airport in Mesa are being recognized as historic sites.
City of Mesa officials say that the U.S. Interior Department recently placed the buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.
Construction of Falcon Field began in July 1941, and it became operational as a pilot training base two months later.
It graduated more than 2,000 U.S. Army Air Corps and British Royal Air Force pilots during the war before ending operations in September 1945.
The federal government transferred ownership of Falcon Field to Mesa in August 1948.
It’s now used as a general aviation airport and is home to more than 700 aircraft.