Harrison Ford’s representative says he’s “banged up” but expected to make a full recovery after crash-landing a vintage plane on a Los Angeles golf course.
Ford’s publicist Ina Treciokas released a statement Thursday night saying the actor was flying a World War II vintage plane that had engine trouble on takeoff. She says Ford had no choice but to make an emergency landing.
The statement says Ford is in the hospital receiving care, and his injuries are not life-threatening.
His son tweeted late Thursday afternoon:
The 72-year-old “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” actor had just taken off from Santa Monica Municipal Airport when he reported the engine trouble and then crash-landed just short of the runway on the golf course. Witnesses say the two-seater fighter plane crashed in front of the 8th hole green on the Penmar Golf Course in Venice.
Elaine Miller told KABC-TV the plane glided in without noise and landed right-side up. The pilot had gashes to his head and was bleeding but walked away from the wreckage.
The NTSB will investigate the crash, which is routine.
Ford is a long-time airplane and helicopter pilot and has attended EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh. In 2004 he was named chairman of the EAA Young Eagles program which introduces children to aviation and served in the position for 5 years. In 2000, he piloted a helicopter and rescued a missing hiker in Wyoming.
The EAA issued this statement Thursday night on behalf of Experimental Aircraft Association Chairman Jack J. Pelton:
Our wishes for a speedy and full recovery are with our friend and longtime EAA member Harrison Ford. Harrison is an experienced general aviation pilot who has been an outstanding advocate for flying, especially in his six years as chairman of EAA’s Young Eagles program, which has introduced more than 1.9 million young people to flight. His flying experience and proficiency served him well today. I speak for all EAA members in saying he has our support and best wishes at this time.
Ford recently returned to his role as Han Solo in the seventh “Star Wars” movie, scheduled to be released in December. He broke a leg during filming last year, which delayed production.
Just this week it was confirmed Ford would reprise his role of Rick Deckard in a sequel to the 1982 film “Blade Runner,” with filming to start next year.